Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jan Wysocki[_2_] Jan Wysocki[_2_] is offline

Default low energy bulbs again - how low energy?

On 2008-01-10, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

[snip]

Some rooms have low voltage halogen downlighters. What am I supposed to
replace *those* with?

If they're MR16s, then there are 3 and 4W LEDS available (search for
Brilux/Luxeon/Cree MR16)

There's no 'supposed' about it.

I wouldn't have them anywhere but it's about personal taste.

Mary

I've been trying 3W and 4W 230V GU10 LED lamps. I like the cool/soft
white (6500K?) ones. However, although the LEDs may have an expected
life of 20- to 50,000 hours, the switched mode? PSUs in the bases of 3
out of the 8 I've been using have gone pop in less than the year I've
been using them for. (Several hours a day, can't be more specific.
2 of the failures were out of 4 from Initial Lights
http://www.initiallights.co.uk)

The others came from Hong Kong via eBay:
http://stores.ebay.com.hk/ledlightinghouse 1 failure out of 2

My suspicion that these are power supply failures comes not only from
hearing one go 'pop', but from experience with high powered LED cycle
lights which seem to be indestructable.

I've also tried and liked very much the cold cathode GU10s that Initial
Lights used to sell. These aren't direct replacements as you have
to connect them to a 500V high frequency power supply. They need a
minute or so to achieve full brightness, but the light that these 5W
bulbs produce is excellent - I have used them to illuminate framed prints.

--
Jan