Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default low energy bulbs again - how low energy?

On Jan 10, 12:28*am, "OG" wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in nder.co.uk... Mike Scott wrote:
I'm curious. "Low energy" bulbs are very much in the news - but how
much extra energy is expended in their manufacture compared to a
standard incandescent? I assume it's more - so is there a real net
/overall/ saving over the bulb life? If so, how much?

Assuming that low energy bulbs are more efficient & give off less heat for
a given amount of light, would you not have to replace that heat in order
to maintain the same room temperature?

Yes but

No buts about it.

If your room needs heating, use a heater and put it where the heat needs to
be. It's madly inefficient to put a heater about 10 inches from the ceiling

Why? Give us the science.

(which is in effect what you are doing with incandescent bulbs).

Where do you think the air warmed by a heater ends up? If there's
already warm air there because it's been warmed by a bulb, what
happens to the heat from the heater? Think of the bulb as providing
the heat that would anyway dissipate through the ceiling to save the
heater from having to do it.

Same applies to TVs on standby.

MBQ