Posted to uk.d-i-y
mick[_2_] mick[_2_] is offline

Default low energy bulbs again - how low energy?

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 16:44:27 +0000, Mike Scott wrote:

I'm curious. "Low energy" bulbs are very much in the news - but how much
extra energy is expended in their manufacture compared to a standard
incandescent? I assume it's more - so is there a real net /overall/
saving over the bulb life? If so, how much?

I don't think your question is actually answered here, but this page
gives a lot of info: http://sound.westhost.com/articles/incandescent.htm

One estimate is about 1kWh to manufacture a GLS and over 4 kWh for a CFL!
That is without taking end-of-life disposal into consideration.

It also looks as if, to get the same light output as a GLS, you really
need to choose a FCL that's "one size up" than the stated size, so use a
30W to get the equivalent of a 100W incandescent. Then the poor power
factor power factor of CFLs comes into it, and the power station has to
generate 60W to light your 30W CFL (although you are only charged for
30W). OK, it's an overall saving of 30%, but not as much as it initially
looks. You do get to have slightly cheaper bills though. :-)

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net