Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Lubricants

In article ,
Paul wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Well, I got the manual from Clausing today and read it. In the
Lubrication Chart, they mention:

"Shell Tonna 33" (which seems to be a way oil),

"Shell Tellus 27" (which seems to be a hydraulic oil),

"Shell Tellus 33" (a heavier hydraulic oil), and

"Shell Alvania 2" (a grease).

These specific lubricants were sold in the 1970s. (The lathe was
manufactured in 1972.) What do people use and recommend instead, these
days?

Joe Gwinn

Joe

Here's what I use in mine, I got cross reference recommendations from
the Exxon/Mobil lube oil tech guy they use at work (we have a pretty
sophisticated lubrication program for rotating machinery).

Way oil, I use it on the ways and in all the Gits oilers:
Vactra #2

Check.

Spindle gear box:
DTE 24 light hydraulic.

Check.

Apron:
SCH 630 (I think this is a hypoid gear oil)

Clausing suggested DTE 26 here, but I bet hypoid oil will work just
fine, although it's far thicker than DTE 26.

Apron? I was thinking the gearbox under the apron. For the apron,
Clausing suggests Vactra #2 for the oil points that feed the ways on the
apron.

All the above are Mobil oils, the Vactra #2 and DTE 24 came from MSC.
The SCH 630 came from the local Mobil jobber who had an open 5 gal can
and poured me off a couple quarts because he's a good guy, I think this
might be hard to find in gallons or quarts.

Gear train to quick change box:
Some sort of synthetic grease from a cartridge tube, I don't remember
brand or other specifics, and I think about any decent grease will be fine.

That's my impression too. I think I'll just see what the local auto
parts store has from a brand I've heard of.

These have worked fine for 5 years so far....

I don't know the history of your lathe, but mine was made in 1972, and
was used in industry for 36 years before falling on hard times and
ending up in a home shop, where the lathe will not get much added use or
wear compared to what it already has accumulated. I bet that any oil of
approximately correct viscosity that doesn't chemically attack anything
in the lathe will do just fine. And any oil is better than no oil.

Joe Gwinn