Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Part P needed?

On 10 Jan 2008 08:50:14 GMT Andrew Gabriel wrote :
They are not permitted to charge for the inspection,
nor can they require you to get it done at your expense.
This is now stated in Part P itself, although it has
always been the case. You already paid for it in the form
of the building notice fee.

Not something that has registered with my LA, LB Richmond:

[if you are DIYings and so submitting a Building Notice]

"At commencement of works you should tell us in the normal way and
inspections of the installation will be carried out (if part of a
building scheme at the same time as other inspections). At
completion of works you will have to provide us with an Electrical
Installation Certificate signed by a competent person. Until this
certificate is received a Completion Certificate for the whole of
the works cannot be issued."

Building Notice charge (classed as works under £5000), £225.51 inc
VAT. And then they expect me to arrange an inspection and test.

I will be selling my place soon and it would do no harm to replace
the CU (1970s Wylex MCBs) - with a split one, £70 from Screwfix and
a morning's work. But with Part P I will leave well alone, as it's
just not worth the risk of getting into arguments with a buyer's
solicitor. Net result of Part P, a slightly less safe installation.