Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Default Electric water heater problem?????

When you check the voltage, what kind of meter are you using? Are you
testing it with it connected to the heating element and with the
thermostat calling for heat?

Have you checked power to the lower thermostat?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Joseph,

I am using a Greenlee multimeter (digital) and have only tested voltage with
the wires connected to the element as well as the thermostat and it shows
220 volts at the upper thermostat and the upper heating element and no power
to the lower thermostat or lower element. I assume the upper thermostat is
calling for heat since the tank is not hot. The top thermostat is not
sending power to the lower since upper thermostat is not satisfied.

I am going to check the voltage coming into the water heater with the wires
disconnected tomorrow and will do the same to the wires that go to the upper
element. I will also check the water meter and see if it is spinning with
all faucets shut off to see if there is a possibility of an under slab pipe
leak.

Thanks for your help on this,

Craig