Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: Education--one question for all the responders

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

George wrote:

"Roger Woehl" wrote in message
. ..
Have any of you been in a public school in the last 5 years?
Roger

Yes, and in Biology class I had to teach a bit of Greek and Latin to
help them understand and internalize the vocabulary.

.... snip

What are we teaching?

You are a better man than I. A bit over a decade I got I had the
great joy of teaching graduate school for a bit. Now grad school
is a place you go "on purpose". Mommy and Daddy are not making you
go, and it takes actual effort and money to get there and survive.

Imagine my horror in discovering that a good many people had poor
writing, spelling, and thinking skills.

In my various positions as a technical lead, I have had the pleasure of
utilizing the "skills" of some of these graduates (bachelors through PhD).
The lack of writing skills is appalling; some of these people are
exceptionally technically gifted but are seemingly unable to string
together more than 5 words in succession nor put together a coherent
presentation or report to either document what they have done or get buy-in
to what they want to do.