Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Lubricants

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Well, I got the manual from Clausing today and read it. In the
Lubrication Chart, they mention:

"Shell Tonna 33" (which seems to be a way oil),

"Shell Tellus 27" (which seems to be a hydraulic oil),

"Shell Tellus 33" (a heavier hydraulic oil), and

"Shell Alvania 2" (a grease).

These specific lubricants were sold in the 1970s. (The lathe was
manufactured in 1972.) What do people use and recommend instead, these
days?

Joe Gwinn

Joe

Here's what I use in mine, I got cross reference recommendations from
the Exxon/Mobil lube oil tech guy they use at work (we have a pretty
sophisticated lubrication program for rotating machinery).

Way oil, I use it on the ways and in all the Gits oilers:
Vactra #2

Spindle gear box:
DTE 24 light hydraulic.

Apron:
SCH 630 (I thinks this is a hypoid gear oil)

All the above are Mobil oils, the Vactra #2 and DTE 24 came from MSC.
The SCH 630 came from the local Mobil jobber who had an open 5 gal can
and poured me off a couple quarts because he's a good guy, I think this
might be hard to find in gallons or quarts.

Gear train to quick change box:
Some sort of synthetic grease from a cartridge tube, I don't remember
brand or other specifics, and I think about any decent grease will be fine.

These have worked fine for 5 years so far....

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.