Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] cl999@comcast.net is offline

Default sump pump outlet circuit breaker tripped

Thanks for all the replies. The pump is on its own circuit, and it is
a single non-GFCI outlet. A basement dryer came and worked 6 hours
with the vacuum, setup 2 large dehumidifier and some fans, ripped the
carpet at the seams, pulled out the padding, ripped the baseboard and
insulation. I'll have to decide about whether to keep the carpet as
someone suggested when the immediate crisis is over.

The below post is of particular interest and describes my current
situation. After all night running the dehumidifiers and fans, this
afternoon the sump pump circuit tripped again, plus a separate circuit
one dehumidifier is on. They tripped independently. Resetting the
breaker and few seconds later trips again. Unable to be home, I called
an electrician to check it out. They are installing a new sump pump
saying the old one was bad, but didn't say anything about the
dehumidifiers, just that a lot of things are running. I'll have to ask
them to clearify. They thought it was weird that the equipment ran all
night and then started tripping. They said if circuits are close to
being overloaded, it would've happened much quicker. Supposing a
degraded/breaking pump was the original culprit, why now is the second
circuit tripping even when the pump isn't running?

On Jan 9, 5:41*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
wrote in message

I had a customer once who had a circuit breaker repeatedly trip several
minutes after resetting it. *It shut off some lights in her basement. *I saw
her sump pump plugged into an outlet and unplugged it. *That solved the
problem. She had the pump replaced and it has been fine since.

In addition to the reasons that you suggested, the breaker could have
tripped because of a loose connection at the breaker. *The breaker may have
weakened with age. *Maybe the circuit isn't big enough for the size pump
that you have. *Is the pump on a dedicated circuit?- Hide quoted text -