Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Default Electric water heater problem?????

Yup.

cm

"RBM" wrote in message
Forget the thermostat. There are two terminals on the element. When you
test across those two terminals, do you get 240 volts?

"CM" wrote in message
news
RBM,

I have 220 volts at the t-stat and the upper element. I removed the upper
element earlier today to check its condition and continuity and it was
fine.

Thanks,

Craig

"RBM" wrote in message
I'm not trying to beat on you either, but the first part of a repair is
to determine what's broken. As the others have said, you need to verify
240 volts across the two upper element terminals. My guess is that
you've got a dead leg feeding the heater, which may have been the
original problem. If you do have 240 volts across the upper element,
it'll heat or you have a bad element, which is unlikely

"CM" wrote in message
OK folks I have repaired many electric water heaters in my 18 years as
a handyman and have never ran into one that I couldn't fix. The best
part is I am doing this for free for a friend that is out of work.

First I replaced both elements and upper/lower thermostats and flushed
the water heater because it would not make hot water. It still didn't
heat the water. I went back over today and changed them all out again
and it still doesn't work. Yes it has power to it , right up to the
top element. What am I missing?

Thanks

cm