PrecisionMachinisT

Default Shop computer question

"Randy H." wrote in message
news:ulODc.7566$Yu.841@fed1read04...

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Well the real question is that I want to add a computer to my shop.

Wanting
to network it to the house computer and the internet, I would need

about
100-120 feet of cable. Are there any problems placing computer that

far
apart? The longest distance I have in the house is 34 feet using Cat

5
cable. Can I go 120 feet?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. BTW I do

also
have
a wireless router for my wife's laptop. She is able to get about 30

feet
away and then loses signal. Maybe there are better routers?

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Shouldnt be a problem, I am running 10 baseT to a distance slightly in
excess of 500 ft.--data transfer between the shop and any computers on

our
network is about twice as fast as transfers to our ISP, so performance

at
the shop doesnt suffer noticably over the computers in the residence,

the
DSL internet link being the major bottleneck instead.

Why not go wireless?

Me ???

Because the shop is out of line of sight due to hilly terrain unless I want
to build a transmitting tower of about 40 ft height--also, the buildings are
on separate utility transformers, further limiting my hardware options......

And because I also ran a pair of pbx phone lines, a paging audio feed, alarm
system contacts and eventually, a driveway gate control circuit within the
same cable run.

--

SVL