Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP LaserJet 4M -- Yipes! Black stripes!

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 05:03:26 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote:

By the way... The cartridges are now made in China, but HP still
charges the same price as when they were made in Japan. HP is
currently selling the P1006 LaserJet for $100 -- the same price as
the 4M cartridge.

That's no doubt a volume quirk, as much as any other conspiracy view.
Back in the last century, they were selling those toner cartridges like
hot cakes. Now they sell like buggy whips.

Debatable. The 98A and 98X are commonly stocked. Staples had two of each.

Where I have had reasonable success is trawling through stores like
Goodwill, Salvation Army, ARC, etc. to find toner cartridges for my
HP LJ III and HP LJ 4L. They are usually still-sealed packages ("NOS")
and the prices are usually $5-$10.

I'll have to start patronizing these stores!