Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Compound angle Box Joint

On Jan 9, 10:35*am, Snog wrote:
I want to make a serving tray with angled sides and box / finger
joints at the corners. *I figured , cut the sides to length and at the
angles I want. (15deg sides) Then to make a jig to hold pieces and
tilt blade at same 15deg angle. Any tips on how to do this?

I built a bunch of those trays (mine had 10deg sides), but I used a
router table & incra jig to cut dovetail joints. If you're cutting
finger joints on the table saw, you have two challenges:
1. Keeping the end surface of your piece perfectly flat to the table
both fore & aft and side to side.
2. Indexing your cuts so your pins are all the same width as your
cuts and arranged so they don't blow out the angled edges.

To cope with #1, I'd screw a tall face piece to the miter gage. Be
sure it rides 90 degrees to the table vertically and is stiff enough
not to flex. Attach a cleat to the front of the face piece that will
hold your tray piece at the required 15 degree angle side to side.
Clamp the tray piece to the face piece once you have it in position,
and make your cuts.

For #2, you may find it necessary to use slightly wider pins than
usual or double your pin width at the edges. Be very careful with
layout and practice on scrap cut to the same dimensions and angles as
your finished stock.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle