Posted to rec.woodworking
D'ohBoy D'ohBoy is offline

Default Hardwood Flooring

On Jan 9, 6:15 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

On the Janko scale, Birich is 1260 compared to Red Oak at 1290, White
Oak 1360 and Bamboo at 1800. Sounds like pretty poor stuff.

That's interesting, as the bamboo flooring I've seen hasn't worn
anywhere near as well as everyday red oak.

That value for the bamboo is for the non-'carbonized' bamboo. The
chocolate brown stuff has been steamed to change the color and that
process significantly reduces the hardness of the material. Which is
why I went for the natural color in a Phillipines-harvested bamboo
which is noticeably darker than other bamboos. Course, they all
darken with exposure to light.

D'ohBoy