Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default low energy bulbs again - how low energy?

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Mike Scott" wrote in
message ...
I'm curious. "Low energy" bulbs are very much in the news - but how
much extra energy is expended in their manufacture compared to a
standard incandescent? I assume it's more - so is there a real net
/overall/ saving over the bulb life? If so, how much?

Sounds as though you're snatching at a straw as a reason for not
using them ...

Mary

Even if he is, it's a very valid question - and one that seems to be ignored
by the government when thrusting these token green measures on us. Just as
your average suburban domestic windmill will take more energy to manufacture
it than it will ever generate in its lifetime.

I've not yet found a low energy light bulb which comes anywhere near the
claimed tungsten equivalent for light output.
--
Cheers,
Roger