Posted to uk.d-i-y
Skipweasel Skipweasel is offline

Default Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

In article ,
says...
What is clear is that at current prices there is no way that a system can
be built using either manufactured parts or professional installation let
alone both.

DIY is the only way to go at the moment.

I had friends in the 60s who had some old radiators in glass boxes on
the roof of an extension. Their boiler wasn't on at all from late spring
to early autumn, and the system cost very little to run - just the power
for a small CH circulator run at its lowest setting, and even that was
only on when there was sufficient available heat relative to the tank.

When I last drove by the house it was still there - I guess it's paid
for itself in the intervening forty years even if they had to scrounge
some more radiators to replace rusted units at some point.

I suspect the only way this will change is if house builders start
equipping whole estates at the time of building. The extra cost then
would be considerably less than retrofit systems, with the added
advantage that several hundred houses with identical systems will mean
the local plumbers have some chance to learn what's going on.

--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.