Simon

Default Wooden worktops

"Jon Brooke" wrote in message
om...
Anyone able to offer tips on buying / fitting wooden worktops for my
kitchen. I've got two straight runs one of 3.4m one of 2.1m - the 3.4m
run will have an undermounted sink + hob cutout, also some of those
cutout slots for a draining board (I guess they need routing somehow).
I like Iroko or Oak - Cheapest blanks I've found so far are £510 for
650mm wide 40mm thick tops from thehardwoodfloorstore.co.uk - these
use 40mm wooden stave construction.

I've not fitted worktops before so any advice appreciated.

sounds expensive, unless that is for the whole lot and not lengths ......
also check here;
http://www.clarkswood.com/worktops/worktops.htm

Iroko 40mm 4.2m x 650mm £295.00
Oak 40mm 4.2m x 650mm £330.00

iroko dust is an irritant to both skin and respiration, so wear a dustmask
or better still a respirator when routing. a jig for sink drainer is
relatively simple; you use a ball groover and a guide bush ....... and you
construct a jig out of ply or MDF strips that has the right size gap for the
bush a support strip screwed at right angles at the bottom of both ends, the
bottom strip thickness is what decides the fall of your drainer, one end
rests inside your sink cut out, the other end sits on the worktop and that
gives you the fall, clamp in place, set your depth on the router and rout
away. Spacing of the strips gives you the spacing of the drainer channels