Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Removing 5C collet Adapter

On 2008-01-09, oldjag wrote:
The Clausing 1300 lathe I recently aquired has a lever operated Royal
5C collet closer which works fine, but I want to install a chuck. It
looks like the collet holder in the spindle will need to come out, as
it is larger in diameter than the O.D. of the D1-4 locating cone on
the spindle nose. Whats the correct way to remove the adapter from the
spindle nose bore?

Apparently, from another discussion, it is to reach through the
spindle (after pulling the drawbar (and collet). Pulling the drawbar
requires pulling a lever hinge screw first), and using a brass rod,
drive it out with gentle taps around the circumference.

Now -- for mine, a 5418 Clausing with a L-00 spindle nose has a
protective collar over the nose which will press on the back of the
flange on the collet adaptor as you unscrew the draw-in ring which
mounts the chucks.

The original spindle in this lathe, a 2-1/4x8 threaded spindle,
had a threaded collar around the spindle nose to both protect the nose
threads and to similarly push on the flange of the collet adaptor.

I don't know whether you have a protector, or whether the D1-4
will apply some outward force when you undo the cams, but at least the
brass rod should work for you. For mine, I would probably turn a 3/4"
brass rod to a long-stemmed mushroom to give easier access to the back of
the closer in the spindle -- but I'm lazy, and the nose protector does a
good job for me.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564