Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default looking to replace B&D 1/4 corded drill

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 20:09:40 GMT, "Ace"
wrote:

I dropped my 'old' Black & Decker 1/4 inch drill motor (now called corded
drill ???), and broke the brush holder among other things. Tore down and
put brush back (even though holder itself was 'missing'). Seemed like a
good fix untill I drilled 3 holes the other day. Then it quit again, with
the telltale smell of burnt electrical ????

So, after Google search, visit to Walmart, Lowes, Ace Hardware, and check at
Sears.com, I haven't been able to locate a replacement!

Does anyone know where a 1/4 inch corded drill (relatively cheap) can be
obtained? Or am I looking for something that is no longer manufactured?
Yes, there are a few out there, but at $100 dollars and up, not for my
occasional need once or twice a year.

Thanks in advance,
Ace

I was in Sams Club the other day, and they had a "Channellock" 24vt
cordless drill, charger and two batteries, for $49IRRC

2 speed, with a 2 speed gearbox, torque clutch and so forth.

Im quite impressed, and the charger actually behaves like its supposed
to. MONDO torque. As a test, I ran in (4) 5/16x3" lagbolts into a
4x4, and while it grunted towards the end, it didnt slow down
appreciably.

Why bother buying a rattly 1/4" corded drill, when you can buy a more
capable cordless for the same money?

If you simply have to have a 1/4" corded drill, the Close Work drill
at Harbor Freight is $24. Works fine.

I took the 1st one back after one of my helpers tried to drive
3/8"x2.5" lagbolts. He ran the biggest portion of a box of 100, before
the gears locked up. Harbor Freight simply handed me a new one.

Gunner