Posted to alt.home.repair
frank megaweege frank megaweege is offline

Default Possibly erroneous paint observation

On Jan 8, 1:52*pm, Paul MR wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
The prior owner of my house did a lot of interior painting in the year
before I bought the place. The leftover paint cans are marked with info like
"2003 - Living Room Trim", so I'm sure of the time factor. He used Behr and
Sears Easy Living paints. I bought the place in 2004, and immediately bought
some Devoe and Martin-Senour Pro-Line paints. The cans have been stored
alongside his since then, and the basement's dry.

The lids and edges of his old cans are completely rusted & phuqued up and
the paint is deteriorating. Mine are free of any kind of corrosion and still
sealed well. I know that some people abuse the lid & can edges by battering
them during opening & closing, but I don't think that's enough to explain
the situation.

I wonder if, in addition to getting better paint when you spend a little
more money, you also get a container that lasts longer, so a few years
later, the paint is still useful.

Or, there's another conclusion and never mind.

The one-gallon plastic paint containers with lids that screw off and
back on are the best packaging invention since they stopped putting
motor oil in cans that you had to puncture and pour with a special tool.
* I can't wait until the makers of better paints follow the lead of
Dutch Boy and junk their old fashioned cans.
Paul in San Francisco

Sherwin williams has been using plastic containers with screw off lids
for awhile.