Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimbo Jimbo is offline

Default Hardwood Flooring

Last night, a fellow ww'er and myself were chatting about the costs of
hardwood flooring. What it came down to essentially was that the
retail costs of hardwood flooring seemed to be very high. $6 a square
foot for 3/4 white oak for example works out to $8 a bf while retail
that lumber will cost less than half that. Based on our very rough
calculations and the retail prices we see around, manufacturers seem
to be making a lot of money out of flooring, even assuming that retail
markups are in the 60 - 75% range. Are we wrong about this?

This, of course, got us wondering if anybody on here has made their
own flooring from rough and how it worked out.

J.