Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Of Interest -metalworking..uranium

Gunner Asch wrote:
Are any of you onto this breaking story?

The Times of London is generally accepted as a credible
source:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...le3137695.ece?

Not really much new there. Also, it has come up many times that
incredibly highly classified info on modern bomb design has gotten
published in unclassifed journals by mistake. In at least one case,
DOE or FBI agents had to go around to a bunch of university and research
institute libraries and remove a particular issue of some physics
journal that had an article on centrifuge design, I think it was.
This has been going on for probably 40 years, now, and anyone who has
the resources to deeply scrutinize the Physics library at a major
university can probably learn nearly everything that is known by a major
nuclear weapons-possesing nation.

I work in the radiochemistry department at a major university, and I've
come across a few issues of journals that had stuff I couldn't BELIEVE
was totally unclassified, like one that was a field guide for
identifying US warheads after an accident. It had photos and complete
physics data on all the deployed US warheads! That wouldn't really help
you to build one, but could be REAL useful to a terrorist wanting to be
sure he stole the right container from the storerom.

Jon