Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] treboona@googlemail.com is offline

Default Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On Jan 8, 10:28*pm, Peter Parry wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 19:50:39 +0000, David Hansen

wrote:
If, for the sake of argument, one takes the claims of the antis of
only a £40 saving in gas per year at face value,

Oh dear, there we go again with the propaganda. *The only thing I'm
anti is the dishonesty of the greenwashers. *

A single solar panel collects about 1MWh of energy per year if ideally
placed - that's real data collected for the DTI. *The gas to produce a
similar amount of energy cost somewhat less than £40 at current
prices.

Why do you feel you can't take such an established fact at face value?
Do you have more credible data?

Hello everyone,

I'm pulling the plug on any of our ambitions wrt solar/wind schemes.

Natural Philosopher et al, thanks for the financials - that is
disappointing, not your replies that is - just the prospect that (at
present) this technology does not pay for the consumer, and we haven't
(at present!) got money for just showing off. BTW I read an article
about 'solar paint' on a website. I was half suspecting a wind-up.
Perhaps that's the sort of advance (if it's for real) that will one
day make it pay.

John Rumm et al, I've seen those heat pump arrangements, in every
example the garden they are deployed in looks sizeable - which ours is
not (maybe 10m square) - so I'm doubtful it is going to work for us.

David Hansen / Huge et al, we are in the UK, we are in a modern house
and it has all the quick-wins you mention (even the new three pronged
light-bulb housings which are a real pain as hardly anyone sells the
bulbs!).

We are atop a small hill and it can get quite windy, so I half
suspected a small wind generator might be semi-viable (until reading
Peter Parry's post! - thanks Peter). My only additional worry with
this was if the thing goes a wrong, the prop spins off and hits
somebody - it's quite a densely populated area where we live. BTW
Ed / Peter I'm no DIY buff, I half zapped myself with some mains leads
once and it put me off for good.

As fossil fuels depleat and the cost of energy increases, perhaps that
is the time when these technologies will come into their own.

For now we'll continue with the basics.

Regards,
Mark.
---