Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Best material to fill in gaps on comp shingle roof

If the shingles are installed correctly, there should be at least 2 layers
of shingle material at all locations. In gaps between the strips of shingles
you should see the top of the shingle from the row below not tar paper and
the gap in the top of the shingle strip should always be under the tab of
the shingle above it. Are you sure you are not mistaken, because if you are
correct, no sticky black tar like substance is going to fix the defective
installation for long.

"Paul" wrote in message
I have been up on my roof and have seen a couple of spots where the
shingles don't actually touch--I can see the paper that normally lies
underneath the shingles. Now I have not noticed any leaking or
anything like that, but I'm thinking that an ounce of prevention is
worth a pound of cure.

My options a I do have some leftover shingles in the garage, that
are much wider than these gaps. I also have a few bits and pieces of
older shingles that have come off the roof, that I have kept for
situations like this. Also, in the past, I have worked with Henry's
roof cement, a black sticky tar-like substance.

I'm wondering what would be the best product to fill in gaps that are
probably less than an inch wide, maybe 4-5 inches long. I'd rather
not use a whole, new shingle if I can avoid it. Are older ones that
have split up no longer good--would they be more likely to split up
again?