Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Possibly erroneous paint observation

On Jan 8, 11:11*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
The prior owner of my house did a lot of interior painting in the year
before I bought the place. The leftover paint cans are marked with info like
"2003 - Living Room Trim", so I'm sure of the time factor. He used Behr and
Sears Easy Living paints. I bought the place in 2004, and immediately bought
some Devoe and Martin-Senour Pro-Line paints. The cans have been stored
alongside his since then, and the basement's dry.

The lids and edges of his old cans are completely rusted & phuqued up and
the paint is deteriorating. Mine are free of any kind of corrosion and still
sealed well. I know that some people abuse the lid & can edges by battering
them during opening & closing, but I don't think that's enough to explain
the situation.

I wonder if, in addition to getting better paint when you spend a little
more money, you also get a container that lasts longer, so a few years
later, the paint is still useful.

Or, there's another conclusion and never mind.

rust would be a humid basement as concrete releases moisture and can
ruin a can on the floor, but after a few years the paint wont match
anyway since its aging on your walls so maybe junk it.