Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
woodworker88 woodworker88 is offline

Default Electrical Query (Metal Breaker Box)

On Jan 7, 6:51 pm, (Doug White) wrote:

We have an outlet in our dining room that appears to be a 220V 15A duplex

Doug White

If it were me, I'd keep it so I could run my tablesaw in the dining
room.
Wouldn't the family just love me.

When you remove the coverplate on the outlet, you should see a black
and a red wire (both hot, 110 volts each), a white wire (neutral) and
probably a bare or green wire (ground). Each of the hots can create
its own 110 volt plug. Not sure how much this would get used in a
dining room, but since you have both, you can take the 110 volt outlet
and split it (little tab between the screws on the hot side) and get
each plug on its own circuit. My shop is wired this way, so that I
can plug in more tools and not blow breakers (since in a given
receptacle, the two plugs are on different circuits). This is
convenient when I want to run, say, the 12 amp dust collector and the
11 amp router or circular saw at the same time