Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mail@atics.co.uk is offline

Default Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

On 2008-01-08, John Rumm wrote:

wrote:

(2) Of the various options available (I can think of at least three)
has anyone any experience across each type? Are some more effective
than others in terms of energy return for a UK home? Are some more
problematic regards installation?

You might want to look at things like air or ground source heat pumps.
These do have a reasonable chance of giving you a return on your
investment.

But before you do *any* of this; insulation, insulation, insulation. Treble
glaze. Line the walls. 1000mm (I made this figure up) of insulation in the loft.
Heat recovery ventilation. Insulate the hot water pipes.

--
* * * * * "Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain
* * * * * * * * *and presumptuous desire for a second one."

i SECOND HUGE on this
the best return is on insulation and design

I have - as a matter of interest - also installed a heat pump and did
most of it myself but got the contractor to fill up with glycol and to
switch it on and on that basis can apply via him for a grant
Chris