Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Home wind turbines dealt a blow

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 09:00:05 +0000 David Hansen wrote :
There's no technical reason why nuclear can't produce hot water
for piping to homes rather than (or as well as) electricity.

None at all. It is done in Russia.

It was done in London: waste heat from the Battersea power station
was piped under the river to heat the Pimlico estate

http://www.cwh.org.uk/main.asp?page=494

However, in order to do this there is a need to place the power
stations close to where the heat is used. As I have said for a
long time, let's put say three nuclear power stations in London
and one in the other large cities in England.

Not a vote winner, I suspect. But it could make sense to put acres
of polytunnels next to a power station and grow tomatoes etc all
year round with free heat - better than flying the stuff thousands
of miles.