Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Electric immersion water heater - timer question

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 06:13:24 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
wrote this:-

That's really useful - thanks very much. This looks like a simple
replacement for the switch on the top heater:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TCGP24.html

My only concern would be whether the clock has double pole contacts
with a separation of at least 3mm. If not then a separate switch
should be provided to isolate the heater. This can often be done by
placing the clock in the kitchen, where there is often a second
switch controlling top-up and leaving the switch by the heater
alone. This may not be possible in your case, in which case I would
probably install the clock as a replacement for the existing switch
and mount it alongside with a little new cable to link the two.

I agree about the need for a second boiler for the ensuite - I don't
know why they went down that route. We moved from a flat that had a
basic combi boiler for heating and HW to this house with a hot water
tank, cold water tank and a second immersion heater etc. Before we
actually moved in we thought we'd replace it all with a combi boiler,

Why? They can have advantages in small flats, but have few
advantages in larger places.

however, it all works really well and has been carefully maintained
and serviced - so for now we're going to change as little as possible!

Then I would just consider a replacement heater battery for the
lower immersion heater, in order to reduce electricity bills.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh