Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Water Heater questions

"Stacia" wrote

Hey all. I have a question: what is the average lifespan of a water
heater? We have one (40-gallon, gas) which is original to the house, so

About 15 years, sorry to say.

I guess that leads me to other questions: how do you drain a water
heater? I've heard you should drain it once a year for maintenance, but

Mine has a little spigot at the bottom. We just shut the water off to the
inlet, unplug it, and drain, then plug it back in and refill. Don has to
relight the pilot then but he knows how (I do not).

And yes, this is our first home :P

Enjoy! Expect wierd bills but after a time, it's cheaper than renting if
you were smart enough to get a fixed rate mortgage. If not, refinance as
soon as you can.