Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Home wind turbines dealt a blow

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 13:10:36 GMT someone who may be
wrote this:-

There's no technical reason why nuclear can't produce hot water for piping to
homes rather than (or as well as) electricity.

None at all. It is done in Russia.

However, in order to do this there is a need to place the power
stations close to where the heat is used. As I have said for a long
time, let's put say three nuclear power stations in London and one
in the other large cities in England.

Nuclear doesn't have to be big
either, Nuclear powered subs don't have Gigawatt power reactors.

Neither do some forms of spacecraft. However, to generate
electricity for general use large stations have always been favoured
for various reasons. So far nuclear power stations have been bigger
then their predecessors.

There may be disadvantages of Nuclear, but home heating at great efficiency
isn't one of them.

Then I imagine Mr Brown will soon be calling for nuclear power
stations to be placed in the English cities.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh