Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] petegermans@nospam.com is offline

Default Plastic Insert in toilet tank

In my toilet tank there is a plastic thing that looks like the bottom
half of a milk jug. It surrounds the flapper and overflow pipe.
Because of this thing, only half the water goes down per flush. Of
course this is one of those toliets that needs to be flushed twice.
I'm thinking of removing that thing so ALL the water goes down per
flush. I already drilled a few 3/8 inch holes in the side to allow
more water to go down, but in the short time the flapper is open, not
all the water drains thru those holes. Is there any reason not to
remove it? I suppose the tank has to come off to get it out, or maybe
a utility knife can just cut it to the bottom of the tank.

Pete