Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default Education

Tom Watson wrote:
Well, I see that the usual Political Scientologists are about.

The geniuses of the moment and the arguers of the nonsensical.

Grab hold of this for a bit.

There has been more than passing mention of Education.

But it always seems to devolve about the "How".

I would like to see us address the "What".

Why, in god's name did we ever teach Latin?

To learn us better English.

If you thought that was because we gloried in a dead language - mark
that as wrong.

Why did we ever bother teaching Literature?

To learn us how other people lived and see the common denominators
among us all.

You probably got that wrong, too.

Why would anyone teach History?

To rewrite it so that it suits current political / fashion and
to promote the Big State as the solution to all ills, historical
and current.

...sigh...

There are too many who treat education as a trade school and bear
little support to the concept of it being a training ground for -
humans - citizens...

I rather respect trade schools. The produce graduates that do
useful things. A good many schools of more better learnin'
produce contempt for the values and ideals that make this
Republic work, principally because their faculties have never
had to sing for their own suppers.

You do remember when we were citizens?

We still are. The term is just being defined downward to
mean either mindless nationalism or "progressive" thinking.
All else is held in contempt by far too many

Not consumers?

The two are not mutual exclusive notwithstanding the romanticized
version of our cultural history frequently put forth. Were it
not for consumption and consumers, most of us would still be
working 16 hours a day on the farm.

Not voters?

An imperfect means to an end, better than all known alternative
means of projecting our wishes.

"Next to god, of course, America, I"

Common and polite use capitalizes "God".

Were you paying attention?

For many years. More recently ... with horror.

It is not about "how" we educate, it is about "what".

That idea lost currency the moment education became a function
of the Federal government. Today's "education" is a madrassas
for Statism, the rest is but noise.

As always, make your choices carefully - and keep your eye on the
ball.

Yes, do choose politically and socially between the Big State and the
Really, Really, Really Big State.
Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/