Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Education

Well, I see that the usual Political Scientologists are about.

The geniuses of the moment and the arguers of the nonsensical.

Grab hold of this for a bit.

There has been more than passing mention of Education.

But it always seems to devolve about the "How".

I would like to see us address the "What".

Why, in god's name did we ever teach Latin?

If you thought that was because we gloried in a dead language - mark
that as wrong.

Why did we ever bother teaching Literature?

You probably got that wrong, too.

Why would anyone teach History?

....sigh...

There are too many who treat education as a trade school and bear
little support to the concept of it being a training ground for -
humans - citizens...

You do remember when we were citizens?

Not consumers?

Not voters?

"Next to god, of course, America, I"

Were you paying attention?

It is not about "how" we educate, it is about "what".

As always, make your choices carefully - and keep your eye on the
ball.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)