Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Chas Hurst Chas Hurst is offline

Default Questions: Generators, rotary phase converters, and not burning down the house

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Jan 7, 9:58 pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:05:57 -0500, "Chas Hurst"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:41:00 -0500, "Chas Hurst"
wrote:

I do the same thing as you and afew others. My generator is out in the
shop,
100' away. When the power goes out, I open both the 200 amp main
breaker
and
the 100 amp breaker feeding the shop. Out in the shop. I open the 50
amp
breaker for the welder and plug in the "suicide cable". Then I start
the
generator, close the 50 amp breaker and go back to the house where I
close
the 100 amp breaker. I think someone that has trouble dressing
themselves
in
the morning might find this all too much,

So to be clear, your earlier posts are simply rationalization for your
decision to run your generator in violation of code.

but there's really no way connect
a transfer switch.

Of course there is, it may not be convenient or cheap, but it can be
done.

--
Ned Simmons

I'm flattered you even read my posts, but you are mistaken. At this point
in
my life, what I have done has served me well and I find no need to
rationalize my actions.

Explaining why it make sense to ignore code when you're so very
competent sure sounds like rationalization to me.

rationalize
v 1: defend, explain, clear away, or make excuses for by
reasoning; "rationalize the child's seemingly crazy
behavior"

My house is over 35 years and, as code has evolved, has many violations
of
present code.

Connecting your generator is a new violation every time you do it. The
non-compliant conditions in your house are most likely grandfathered,
and not violations.

Since wires that need to be connected to a transfer switch are too short,
most of the interior walls of the house would need to be removed to
lengthen
them. To me that constitutes a "no way" situation.

There's a big difference between your earlier "there's really no way
to connect a transfer switch," and "To me that constitutes a "no way"
situation." The latter sure sounds like an excuse - rationalization,
if you don't mind my saying so - for not following code.

--
Ned Simmons- Hide quoted text -

It is also an excuse that no jury will buy as it proceeds to commit
you to prison when someone dies.

I can assure you that if I am on the jury you will be imprisoned for
stupidity.

TMT

Please keep posting replies. They're much more entertaining than those from
Ned.
I guess I'm just blessed that paranoid busybodies make me larff.