Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default How can I automatically tap 500 holes in 5/16-18 thread size using a hand drill or drill press?

On 2008-01-07, woodworker88 wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:39 am, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:

Riv-nuts are great for putting threads into thin sections but if I
understand the OP's project correctly, he needs to have threads in the end
so there will be nothing for the riv-nut to grab on to.

Right. As I understand it, Rivnuts are really for things like sheet
metal where you need a threaded fastener but the material is too thin
to get adequate thread engagement,

Yes. Sheet metal or metal otherwise too thin for the thread
pitch in question to offer sufficient strength.

And as for the spinning in the hole -- there are Rivnuts with a
key under the flange, and a tool for notching the hole to accept the
key.

There are also Rivnuts with a hex body.

And if it's too late and you have a spinning Rivnut you don't want
to totally replace, you can drill a hole at the perimeter and put in a
small Pop Rivet as a lock.

-- Bruce --