Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Tapcon's

On Jan 7, 4:15*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
I want to install some fir strips with Tapcon's on a poured concrete
foundation wall.
The guy at Home Depot said i would have to use a Hammer Drill,because my
regular drill will burn the bits.
Is this true ?
Any other solution *appreciated.

While a hammer drill is required, it doesn't take much of one to get
the job done. I've drilled dozens of holes with a $45 (in '85) Skil X-
tra Tool, which is a basic corded drill with a hammer setting. Make
sure you drill your holes deep enough because:

BTW mattmeitz... is right. You don't want to stop screwing once you
start since the coating on the screw will harden and you'll never get
the screw started again. If you take one out, the hole is ruined and
you can't use it again. It's a one-shot deal. Drive the screws with a
power drill-driver using steady pressure. If you don't need a flush
surface, use the hex-heads instead of the philips head or counter sink
your furring strips first. The hex heads with a socket in your driver
go in much easier.