Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
NewsGroups NewsGroups is offline

Default Questions: Generators, rotary phase converters, and not burning down the house

. 3.70...
"Chas Hurst" fired this volley in
:

Sure. The transfer switch must be at the panel, but the genny could
be anywhere. You just need to run suitable wire from the transfer
switch to the genny. 5KW gennies typically have 20-amp breakers so
12-gage wire should suffice.

And how does one get the existing wire stretched to the transfer
switch?

My choice was to put the genny in the pumphouse, since during a power-
failure, my pumps have the highest inrush of all systems (that will still
be on line when I switch over).

I wired the 75' run from the pump house with #4 copper. The pump sub-
breaker is 50A, feeding a 20A sub-panel at the pumphouse. I accomplish
the changeover with carefully-labeled breakers in my main panel, and with
the use of a check-list. The list declares which breakers should be left
on, which should be turned off to reduce the load, and which ones should
be switched in what sequence in order to effect the transfer. (in case
the spouse has to do it in my absence).

FWIW, I would not have taken this tack if I'd had access to the meter-to-
panel stub, but this house was already built, and it would be difficult
(and require a disconnect-reconnect permit) to do it right with a
transfer switch.

So you choose to play GOD and fool with the lives of any linesmen working
near your house. You are a truly selfish person.

LLoyd