Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Jay is offline

Default Hot water heater running out of water

On Jan 6, 7:54 pm, Robert Barr wrote:
After a couple

of weeks we're still seeing
the same problem, even with the 1st shower of the day. I've got the
temp pumped up to
like 135-140 degrees. That seemed to help but it not the solution.
Any ideas what else this could be? I've ordered a low flow shower
head.
Thanks,
Jay

Coincidence. The GE sold by Home Depot is a Rheem. I bought one a few
years back, and it was the single worst (most trouble-prone) appliance
purchase I've ever made.

Very early in its life -- 6 weeks, maybe -- it ate its first heating
element. I replaced the first, and the other element died about six
months later. I replaced both with stainless.

I've also had unending problems with the sacrificial anode on it, but
that's another (really long, boring) story.

So, start from scratch. Google, and he

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library...ter_Heaters-Wa...

These things are really simple, and the troubleshooting procedure is
straightforward.

Got off the phone with the Rheem tech support, looks like the
thermostat is bad... the
upper/lower element were only showing 1 volt AC... sending a new one
out