Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default help on sheet forming process!

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 13:59:42 -0800 (PST), shantia
wrote:

well Mr Simmons' recognition is nice, in fact its one of parts of an
industrial turbine.(somehow its a secret , so keep it just secret
here ;-) )

Mr Simmons , can you please help me just a bit more , I just want to
know how GE make such parts , even if you yourself don't know much ,
maybe you can introduce someone else to me who has experience in this
area.

My contact there has long since retired, so the best I can do is
speculate based on what I saw while working on various projects and
extrapolating to your part. The processes are not unusual or unique -
I presume the value here is the confirmation that I saw parts similar
to yours fabricated in this manner.

-Roll the cylindrical segment from a rectangular piece of plate
-Roll the conical segment from a semicircular piece of plate
-Weld the segments together
-Stress relieve
-Finish machine

The black art in this sequence is the practical, hands-on knowledge
required to control welding distortion, and to predict how much the
rough weldment must be oversized to allow machining to size to
accommodate the distortion that can't be controlled.

--
Ned Simmons