Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Renovation, all new plumbing questions

On Jan 6, 4:34 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
EXT wrote:

I thought the whole point of using PEX was to eliminate as many connections
as possible, particularly ones inside of walls where the mechanical seals
could leak unnoticed for some time. This would rule out Tees and Ells and
promote home runs from a manifold and using curved tubes to make 90 degrees.

I certainly though that was supposed to be one of the big advantages,
coupled with the flexibility that allows you to fish it continuously.
Exact same idea as the flexible stainless gas line that's beginning to
replace the old black pipe with all it's potential leak points.

My current home
(1930 1 1/2 story; two ~stacked baths, laundry room & kitchen)
was re-plumbed with a home run system (valved manifolds).

I looked at it both ways & to me the home run system seemed best.
Yeah, it used more tubing but way fewer connections & no fittings
except at the fixtures & the manifold.

The stuff is pretty flexible (not like a garden hose but way more
flexible than soft copper) easy to snake thru walls, ceilings & thru
sills.

I like the home run method; continuous runs from manifold to fixtures,
not connections to make or leak along the way.

For a larger or spread out home, a traditional branch & main might
make more sense.

OR

a hybrid system with some branch circuits & extra remote manifolds.

The home run system makes instant hot water loops harder to implement
but if the layout is compact & the tubes are sized right the wait for
hot water will be short even without a hot water loop.

The longest wait I have for hot water is ~ 30 secs & I waste less than
a gallon.

cheers
Bob