Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Hot water heater running out of water

"Jay" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 9:04 pm, cavedweller wrote:
On Jan 6, 7:18 pm, Jay wrote:

Any ideas what else this could be? I've ordered a low flow shower
head.
Thanks,
Jay

Dip tube?

Would that fail right away? The heater is only 2 weeks old...
Definitely hooked
up right! :-)

It seems fairly likely that the new heater does not have a functional dip
tube. It might not have been installed, might be in the hot side, or might
be broken. I would check for it in the inlet pipe and pull it up as far as
possible to see if it is okay. If you can not pull it out very far, it
should be possible to remove the lower element and see it with a flashlight
and mirror.

Another possibility is that you have a leaking hot water line somewhere,
particularly under a concrete slab. That will prevent the heater from ever
heating the water hot enough, especially at the bottom of the tank. This can
be detected by the outlet pipe staying hot for a long distance from the
heater when no hot water is being used.

Don Young