Posted to alt.home.repair
car crash car crash is offline

Default Floor joists

On Jan 6, 9:29 pm, RickH wrote:
On Jan 6, 8:23 pm, car crash wrote:

On Jan 6, 9:17 pm, marson wrote:

On Jan 6, 8:03 pm, car crash wrote:

I live in Ottawa and have a brand new home 1 year old. I noticed
that was was taking out some 2x4's in my basement and noticed a floor
joist move ! I found 3 floor joists in the basement that do not have
hangers underneath them. Are all floor beams not suppose to have
hangers under them ? Why is it that I have a 1 2.x4 wall holding up
3 floor joists ? Should I contact the builder to check this out
asap ?

What do you mean by "taking out some 2x4's"? Of course a 2x4 wall in
a basement could be serving as a bearing point for floor joists. No,
every joist does not necessarily have a hangar. A photo would be
very helpful here.

This is not an exterior wall it's an interior wall near a staircase.
The floor joists on one end are held into a microland board by
hangers. The other end are simply resting on the top plate of 2x4's
with no nails or nothing in them ! Every joist in my basement has
hangers on them except for these three.

Yes the basement staircase wall often bears a few joists at least,
because there is basically a "hole" for the staircase as the joists
traverse the house. They should have toe nailed those, but just
resting is ok because the floor plywood holds the joists in place
horizontally. Yes it sounds like you affected a bearing wall, I'd put
it back until you figure it out. It may be possible to shorten stair
walls a little with a header and some hangars, but it sounds like you
will need a vertical there somewhere even if you truncate the wall
width.

I've also noticed that on the adjoining wall is a 12 inch high lvl
beam that at one end is sitting on a jack post and the other end is
being supported by a 2x4 ??? How is that possible ? Is 1 2x4 enough
to hold a lvl beam ?