Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Jay is offline

Default Hot water heater running out of water

On Jan 6, 9:16 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Jay wrote:
On Jan 6, 8:32 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:

Jay wrote:

Hi,
We've been in our house for about six months and recently we started
losing hot water.
It would last for only about 10 mins or so then run out. We figured
that since the water heater
was somewhat old (2000) that we should just replace it. We bought
pretty much
the same one, a 50 gallon GE electric water heater. After a couple
of weeks we're still seeing
the same problem, even with the 1st shower of the day. I've got the
temp pumped up to
like 135-140 degrees. That seemed to help but it not the solution.
Any ideas what else this could be? I've ordered a low flow shower
head.
Thanks,
Jay

Do the tests on the elements/thermostats.
If all checks OK, there might be a "bypass"
occurring between cold supply and hot lines.

This can occur inside a single-handle faucet
cartridge (even when OFF) or in a washing machine
solenoid valve. Less likely, there might be a
temperature compensating valve in the system.

Also, check that the heater was plumbed correctly;
Cold supply to the nipple marked "COLD". It's an
easy mistake to make and produces exactly your symptoms
when done backwards.

Jim

The heater was definitely plumped correctly. Could the bypass be in a
shower
water control? Not sure about the element tests. It appeared
ok, but the instructions were a little unclear on the bobvila site.
I'm
gonna call rheem tomorrow and have them walk me thru it..
Thanks

you could try shutting off the valves to all single handle faucets in
the house then take a shower. if the problem goes away then it's a
bypass in one of those faucets. if it persists, then try shutting off
the stop valves to the shower then run hot water somewhere else in the
house. if you have good hot water there then your shower valve is the
problem.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Ok, It's tough to do though because the problem doesn't happen every
time...
My guess is it may be the shower valve, the molding is kind of loose
as well as the
lever controlling if the shower or tub gets the water...