Posted to alt.home.repair
car crash car crash is offline

Default Floor joists

On Jan 6, 9:17 pm, marson wrote:
On Jan 6, 8:03 pm, car crash wrote:

I live in Ottawa and have a brand new home 1 year old. I noticed
that was was taking out some 2x4's in my basement and noticed a floor
joist move ! I found 3 floor joists in the basement that do not have
hangers underneath them. Are all floor beams not suppose to have
hangers under them ? Why is it that I have a 1 2.x4 wall holding up
3 floor joists ? Should I contact the builder to check this out
asap ?

What do you mean by "taking out some 2x4's"? Of course a 2x4 wall in
a basement could be serving as a bearing point for floor joists. No,
every joist does not necessarily have a hangar. A photo would be
very helpful here.

This is not an exterior wall it's an interior wall near a staircase.
The floor joists on one end are held into a microland board by
hangers. The other end are simply resting on the top plate of 2x4's
with no nails or nothing in them ! Every joist in my basement has
hangers on them except for these three.