Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Floor joists

On Jan 6, 8:03*pm, car crash wrote:
I live in Ottawa and have a brand new home 1 year old. * I noticed
that was was taking out some 2x4's in my basement and noticed a floor
joist move ! * I found 3 floor joists in the basement that do not have
hangers underneath them. * *Are all floor beams not suppose to have
hangers under them ? *Why is it that I have a 1 2.x4 *wall holding up
3 floor joists ? *Should I contact the builder to check this out
asap ?

The tip of the joists should be resting on the foundation wall and
ends banded with another 2x10 (or 2x12 if you have 2x12's). The
joists should not need hangars if they nailed them from the outside
band going in, hangars are only needed if you have no other way to
nail from the outside, older and many new homes have no joist hangars
at all. If the tips are not resting on the foundation wall, then you
probably moved a bearing wall. Have the builder send their "detail
man" out, the guy that they send out to fix after-sale complaints,
nail pops, etc.