Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Question about Furnace

On Jan 6, 2:59*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 11:35:06 -0800 (PST), Ball of Fluff

wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone would have any input but if you have any
theories, would love to hear 'em.

Our natural gas furnace is a bit elderly (18 years old, almost) but
always always always was tempermental.

There's always been one thing or another going on with it.

But this latest thing has stumped me. What happens is if we turn the
heat down too far, like at night or when we go out for a few hours, if
the heat turns off, then it doesn't want to come back on.

The heat went out Christmas day and we had no heat for an entire day
and a half from that furnace.

Pressed the reset button, did all that.

So we called the utiltiy co. They didn't come out until two days later
because that's the turnaround time. By then, it had gone on by itself
the previous night.

I asked them to see if they could see any problems ANYWAY, and they
could not.

Since then, since this happened two more times, we see that it has
something to do with turning off then not wanting to come back on.

It eventually DOES come back on but it's always anybody's guess as to
when with the Christmas 36 hour delay being the worst.

Why might it do that?

I probably should get a new one but they are expensive and if I can
get a couple or few more years out of this one, then that's what I
want to do.

Claire

Its really pretty simple. You really havent given any great detail and
no one here can see it. From your own admission it has been giving you
trouble from day one. You need to either start getting estimates for a
replacement or find a good competent tech/company that can resolve
your problems. Do NOT, I repeat.....Do NOT start banging on the gas
valve with a hammer or whatever as someone who shall go nameless
stated. Thats just an accident waiting to happen.
Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing and live with the cold days
and nussiance.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

Bubba every year a I have to knock a few gas valves on old units that
are old and stuck in fall, but you are right they might hit it too
hard and their best option is call a pro.