mike

Default PPPro 18V drill - short review

Grunff,

May not be what you're looking for since it doesn't hammer, but Wickes
have cut the price of the 15.6V Kress ABS156 from £125 to £75 (this
isn't the non-Kress 14.4 hammer at £75). Bought one of these a few
weeks ago and it got sustained and heavy use for a fortnight. Turned
out to be a really nice piece of kit. The automatic spindle lock's
one of those features you don't want to be without once you've used
it. Felt the battery life could be better but as I say it was really
getting some stick, and the spare and 1-hr charger got round that.
There's a magazine review of it on Kress's website.

Incidentally, at the cheapie end, there's a decent 14.4V 1.7Ah drill
driver kicking around under various names. I got the PPPro screw gun
version with two batteries (no chuck) for £40, and the DP Tools
rebadged drill version from Focus (bundled with a clone of the PPPro
Rotozip) for £40 the pair. There's no variable speed on the DP
version (contrary to what it says in the instructions) but it's pretty
nifty at whacking in big screws. The Champion version from Focus is
another variation and I think they've just knocked twenty quid off the
price. Dunno who makes it but it's the one with the slide battery
pack so may be a different manufacturer to the other PPPro drills -
certainly feels better than the 18volters I fondled in the local
branch.

Mike