Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Questions: Generators, rotary phase converters, and not burning down the house

"Vaughn Simon" wrote: (clip) For good reason, they call those dual-male
cords "Suicide Cables".
There are plug and socket combinations where the male part is surrounded by
a metal guard, so it is less likely that you will get "suicided." You could
wire one of these in beside your dryer outlet. I used a combination like
that before I got a proper switching setup. I cut the wires between the
meter and the house (in the garage rafters) and put in a shielded twistlock
pair. I then made a cord from my generator that could reach my garage
rafters that had a matching connector. This made it impossible to get power
from my generator into the utility lines, and also kept me from getting my
fingers "burned."