Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vaughn Simon Vaughn Simon is offline

Default Questions: Generators, rotary phase converters, and not burning down the house

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
. ..
Ok, sounds like relying on turning off the mains breaker is really not enough,
and that right there kills the deal. This place is a rental and I'm just not
going to sink the expense of a transfer box into this place.

Sounds like this practice is dangerous enough that I ought to warn my friend?

I'm guessing yes, but would like to be able to explain to him why.

The danger of backfeeding has been covered my many other posters, but there
is another danger: To feed through that dryer outlet as you propose, you need a
build a special cord with a male plug at each end. That leaves you with the
chance of having exposed energized terminals unless you do everything just
right. For good reason, they call those dual-male cords "Suicide Cables".

Vaughn